The Animal Welfare League of Charlotte County offers paid internships to college students for dog walking at our shelter. Details are as follows:
• Internships are available to students 17 years of age or older who are currently enrolled in college or will be starting college in the fall. Proof of enrollment will be required.
• To be eligible, students must complete the AWL volunteer orientation class as well as well as 5 hours of shadowing with an experienced AWL dog walker at which time they will receive a green badge. After completing an evaluation by one of our dog walking instructors, the student may then progress to a blue and red badge.
• The students must be able to walk dogs between 12:30 and 3:30pm at least two days per week. Interns are free to choose the days and time, but keeping a regular schedule is desirable. Note that bonus hours are given for Sat or Sun walking.
• Interns will use a log sheet in the volunteer room to track their hours, which must be verified and signed off each day by a shelter employee.
• Upon completion of 60 hours of dog walking, the intern will be paid the stipend of $1000.
To be considered for an internship, please fill out the Intern Application and return to Development Manager Diana